Evaluating the Performance of the Production Line with Simulation Approach in Meat Processing Industry: A Case from Turkey
Sinem Büyüksaatçi Kiriş, Ph.D.
Assist. Prof., Department of Industrial Engineering, Faculty of Engineering
Istanbul University Cerrahpasa, Istanbul, Turkey, firstname.lastname@example.org
The production capacity and employment in the meat processing industry in Turkey has increased in parallel with the demand of the growing population. The meat processing industry turns animal raw materials into ready-to-eat products with a long shelf life such as sausages, garlic-flavored fermented sausages, salami, bacon, roasted meat, and ham. It is clear that the meat processing industry is entirely dependent on animal husbandry. However, due to animal production rate exceeds the rate of meat consumption in Turkey, both government agencies and organizations, as well as meat processing companies, are forced to manage the demand for meat and to improve their production lines. In this study, in order to meet the increasing demand of customers in a meat processing company operating in Istanbul, 4 different scenarios were developed with the idea of how to create more final products in the same working time. The scenarios were examined using the simulation model and the utilization rates of machines have been evaluated. In addition, the effects of the scenarios on the final product amount were discussed. Thus, the findings of the study assisted the decision-makers in the company for the selection of the right approach.
Keywords: ARENA Software, Food Processing, Meat Processing Industry, Meat Production, Productivity, Simulation
Jel Classification: C63, E27
Büyüksaatçi Kiriş, S.,
Ünal, M. (2020). Evaluating the Performance of the Production Line with Simulation Approach in Meat Processing Industry: A Case from Turkey. Alphanumeric Journal, 8(1), 1-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.17093/alphanumeric.717667
- Abed, S. Y. (2008). A simulation study to increase the capacity of a rusk production line. International Journal of Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, 2(3), 228-237.
- Akgül, S., & Yildiz, Ş. (2016). Red Meat Production Forecast and Policy Recommendations in Line with 2023 Targets in Turkey. European Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies, 1(2), 431-438.
- Armenzoni, M., Bottani, E., Rinaldi, M., Gallo, S. A., & Montanari, R. (2016). Analysis, simulation and optimization of the milking process in a cowshed for the production of parmigiano reggiano. International Journal of Food Engineering, 12(9), 851-865.
- Aydogdu, M. H., & Kucuk, N. (2018). General analysis of recent changes in red meat consumption in Turkey. IOSR Journal of Economics and Finance (IOSRJEF), 9(6), 1-8.
- Biesalski, H. K. (2005). Meat as a component of a healthy diet–are there any risks or benefits if meat is avoided in the diet?. Meat Science, 70(3), 509-524.
- Bruzzone, A. G., & Longo, F. (2013). An advanced modeling & simulation tool for investigating the behavior of a manufacturing system in the hazelnuts industry sector. International Journal of Food Engineering, 9(3), 241-257.
- De Smet, S., & Vossen, E. (2016). Meat: The balance between nutrition and health. A review. Meat Science, 120, 145-156.
- Demirkol, C., & Azabagaoglu, M. O. (2017). Analysis of Business Structures on Capacity Usage in Determining Encountered Problems of Red Meat Industry in Turkey. Social Sciences Research Journal, 6(4), 359-369. ISSN: 2147-5237
- Hasan, K. A. M., Kadhum, A. H., & Morad, A. H. (2019). Evaluation of Yogurt Production Line Simulation Using Arena Software. Al-Khwarizmi Engineering Journal, 15(4), 71-78.
- Hecker, F., Hussein, W., & Becker, T. (2010). Analysis and optimization of a bakery production line using ARENA. International Journal of Simulation Modelling, 9(4), 208-216.
- Hussein, W. B., Hecker, F., Mitzscherling, M., & Becker, T. (2009). Computer Modelling and Simulation of Bakeries' Production Planning. International Journal of Food Engineering, 5(2).
- Jiménez-Colmenero, F., Carballo, J., & Cofrades, S. (2001). Healthier meat and meat products: their role as functional foods. Meat Science, 59(1), 5-13.
- Kamarudin, N. F., Rani, R. M., & Halim, F. A. (2019). Improving the Food Manufacturing System by Using Simulation and DEA. In Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Computing, Mathematics and Statistics (iCMS2017) (pp. 555-561). Springer, Singapore.
- Karakuş, K., Çelikyürek, H., & Aygün, T. (2018). “Providing the Need of Red Meat in Turkey. Hayvan Bilimleri ve Ürünleri Dergisi, 1(1), 52-58.
- Liong, C. Y., Hamid, S. H. A., & Ibrahim, I. M. (2016, June). Improving the performance of chili sauce manufacturing process using simulation approach. In AIP Conference Proceedings (Vol. 1750, No. 1, p. 030026). AIP Publishing LLC.
- McAfee, A. J., McSorley, E. M., Cuskelly, G. J., Moss, B. W., Wallace, J. M., Bonham, M. P., & Fearon, A. M. (2010). Red meat consumption: An overview of the risks and benefits. Meat Science, 84(1), 1-13.
- Parthanadee, P., & Buddhakulsomsiri, J. (2014). Production efficiency improvement in batch production system using value stream mapping and simulation: a case study of the roasted and ground coffee industry. Production Planning & Control, 25(5), 425-446.
- Polat, M., & Cevger, Y. (2016). Türkiye Et İşleme Sanayinde Mevcut Durum. Mehmet Akif Ersoy Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü Dergisi, 4(2), 96-103.
- Rani, R. M., Ismail, W. R., & Ab Rahman, M. N. (2014b). Operators' Evaluation and Allocation in SME's Food Manufacturing Company Using Analytical Hierarchy Process and Computer Simulation. International Journal of Applied Physics and Mathematics, 4(3), 215-222.
- Rani, R. M., Ismail, W. R., & Ishak, I. (2014a). An integrated simulation and data envelopment analysis in improving SME food production system. World Journal of Modelling and Simulation, 10(2), 136-147.
- Saygın, Ö., & Demirbaş, N. (2017). Türkiye'de Kırmızı Et Sektörünün Mevcut Durumu ve Çözüm Önerileri. Hayvansal Üretim, 58(1), 74-80.
- Walker, P., Rhubart-Berg, P., McKenzie, S., Kelling, K., & Lawrence, R. S. (2005). Public health implications of meat production and consumption. Public Health Nutrition, 8(4), 348-356.
- Wang, S., Wu, B., Qian, J., & Chen, D. (2018). Simulation and optimization for wheat flour production processes based on Flexsim. Journal of Zhejiang A&F University, 35(5), 942-947.
Volume 8, Issue 1, 2020
Received: April 10, 2020
Accepted: May 31, 2020
Published: June 30, 2020
Full Text [637.8 KB]
Büyüksaatçi Kiriş, S.,
This is an Open Access article, distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution licence, which permits unrestricted re-use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
scan QR code to access this article from your mobile device